Preparing to prepare for school

Lately,  I have been really thinking about lesson planning.  I had an observation recently and I stressed and spent hours preparing for it – writing the lesson plan, making the manipulatives, cutting out the manipulatives, putting everything into individual baggies, planning for not one but multiple subjects, small group math centers, small group reading centers, and the list does go on and on.

We all know that time is always and forever against us.  My question is, HOW can I implement all of the wonderful teaching strategies I have learned into every day life in the classroom?

I tried to bring the community into my classroom for a project we were doing and those friends were not able to because of various reasons.  So even when I do try these things, it seems as though there are so many factors working against great teaching.

Time, money, equipment, cooperation, involvement, etc.

How does one overcome all of these obstacles in order to deliver highly engaging, highly effective teaching?

Is there a way to somehow simplify the process – if my mindset is what needs to change – how exactly should I be thinking about teaching?  Sometimes I know it’s a simple turn of phrase, sometimes it’s a simple act, sometimes it’s simply listening to students talk and express their thoughts.  Other times, however, I feel bogged down by the amount of preparation required to deliver unique, engaging, effective instruction.

In the Skerrett and Bomer article, they discussed how students have literacies outside of those taught in school.  How do I figure out what their specific literacies are and how to incorporate them in the classroom in a manageable way?

2 Responses to “Preparing to prepare for school”

1.   jaymea Says:

I know how you feel, sometimes it is like you work all this time and it just always “turns and bites you.” I have the same issues I feel with common core and a new administrator I spend hours and hours a week on lesson plans and my lesson plans are 4 pages long for one day. It is stressful, yet so rewarding when you look out at your kids and see the “lightbulb” go off.

2.   gracia022 Says:

I completely understand. I recently had an observations I prepared for then got cancelled for the next day, that I wasn’t as prepared for. I realized that instead of being super prepared for just certain lessons, I need to be prepared for all of them. And that way I won’t be so stressed out. I have blocked off certain days to get ready. One day for planning, one day to get manipulative organized and so on. I think one way to understand your students outside literacies is to have the student free write. Have them free write about what they choose what makes them happy. I don’t grade those, I just use them to better understand my students.